Here’s a list of some of my favorite facts from my visit in the Smokey Mountains.
- The blue smoke from the Smokey Mountains is caused by volatile organic compounds (VOC) released by the vegetation.
- Anakeesta is a Cherokee Indian word that means the place of high ground.
- Dolly Parton doesn’t own Dollywood.
- Dollywood Amusement park was originally called Silver Dollar city.
- Dolly Parton joined the Herschends in 1986 to reopen the park at Dollywood.
- For Dolly Parton, philanthropy rules.
- She runs a program that gives free books to children under 5 called Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.
- She sponsors a local high school’s band.
- She set up a fund to help families affected by the 2016 fires in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.
The Smokey Mountains are beautiful. The yellow, gold, and orange leaves blow like waves across the mountains. It is a place of beauty and wonder. I’m grateful to have experienced it.
Have you ever been to the Smokey Mountains? What was your favorite part? Let me know in the comments below!
P.S. Apparently you can’t put links in bullets on the WordPress app so here they are.